FAQs for artists 

FAQs Insurance

Liability, property and personal insurance as well as unemployment insurance are relevant for self-employed artists.

In Germany, a distinction is made between private, professional (professional liability) and company (public liability / organiser liability) liability insurance.

All artists who ask for insurance from a broker or multiple agent should consider the following advice:

  1. Get the insurance agent to explain his status (exclusive agent, multiple agency or broker). The status determines the agent's liability in cases, for example, of incorrect advice.
  2. Present your request in detail, describe your need for insurance cover, check which insurance-relevant information the agent takes down in writing, and according to which criteria the insurance cover is selected and offered to you.
  3. Do not sign the standard form "Waiver of consultation and documentation" for insurance types that require intensive advice. You cannot waive consultation for insurance types such as professional liability insurance, household contents, or all personal insurance types such as accident, occupational disability, pension insurance.
  4. Do not sign hastily, but read the small print and get advice!

Yes. Voluntary unemployment insurance for self-employed persons must be applied for at the employment agency within three months of commencing self-employment.

In order to be able to take out continuing voluntary unemployment insurance ("compulsory insurance upon application"), you must meet one of the following two conditions, among other things:

  • Self-employed persons must have been in a compulsory insurance relationship for at least 12 months (e.g. as an employee, receiving sickness benefit subject to compulsory insurance, periods of child-raising) within the last 24 months before taking up their employment. It does not matter whether the relationship is a continuous compulsory insurance relationship or whether individual insurance periods are added together. Periods of voluntary continuing insurance can also be taken into account. This makes it possible, for example, for employees abroad who become self-employed after their return to Germany to take out voluntary continuing insurance against unemployment.
  • The applicant must have received payment from the Social Code III (e.g. unemployment benefit) immediately before the start of the self-employment. The duration of this payment is irrelevant.