IN RESIDENCE - ZK/U BERLIN OPEN CALL
Deadline: October 13th, 2019.
DZK/U sees itself as a laboratory for inter- and trans-disciplinary activities centered on the phenomenon of “the city”. It promotes international exchange on global issues, in the light of what is happening in one’s own backyard. The work at ZK/U is informed by theoretical and practice-based critiques developed in the disciplines of geography, anthropology, urban planning, architecture and the humanities.
- ZK/U welcomes artists, scholars and practitioners that concern themselves with the phenomenon of 'the city'.
- The programme is open to a range of contemporary artistic positions that are conceptual, interventionist and contextual.
- Artists are expected to have a broad record of projects and exhibitions.
- Scholars and practitioners should have some years of professional experience.
- One can apply individually or as a group.
- Group applications consisting of artists working together with scholars or practitioners from other disciplines are especially welcome.
- There are no limitations concerning age or region of provenance of the applicant.
- The application proposal should be coherent with the Open Call’s conceptual framework and investigation leads.
- ZK/U seeks proactive practitioners with an open mind for divergent positions and for possible collaborations with fellow residents as well as ZK/U’s programme, infrastructure, and diverse audiences.
Within the frame of this Open Call, ZK/U invites applications around it’s current discourses of the conceptual framework and additionally encourages investigations into the following themes:
- alternative practices of knowledge production, mediation and new formats of cross-sectoral conversations
- inclusive modes of engagement in democratic decision making processes and grassroot movements
- connecting global communities through strategies of local non-monetary economies and digital governance
- prototyping digital and spatial infrastructure for a future based on the common good
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- a studio-apartment for living and working
- access to communal spaces (kitchen, terrace, library)
- a special residency program of weekly dinners, monthly studio visits and bi-monthly open studio events (OPENHAUS)
- the possibility to take part or be part of ZK/U’s public events
- support to locate events, resources, and urban discourses relevant to the fellows’ research interests
- support to create self-initiated public events or formats
- promotion of the fellows’ work online and locally
RESIDENCY FEE & DURATION
For individual fellows, depending on the studio-apartment and length of stay, the residence fees are between €550 and €850 a month. The residency period varies from 3 to 8 months, and can take place within the next two years after the applicant receives a confirmation. After being selected, ZK/U will support the invited residential fellow in their efforts to secure funding through external grants by providing the fellow with an official invitation and a list of potential funders.
Please only submit your application within the Open Call period.
To apply, please:
- fill out the application form
- send your application documents via wetransfer
For questions, make sure to check our FAQ page.
APPLICATION MATERIAL (in German or English):
- Application form: https://forms.gle/CfpQT9MPiAeKXBm6A
- Curriculum vitae
- A selection of 2 to 3 projects representing a practice relevant to our conceptual framework (please include descriptions of those projects) as PDFs (max. 10 pages)
Please send the 2 PDF documents (max. 15mb combined) through wetransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org